Monday, March 21, 2011

Knowing Jesus Christ

A few years ago I began to feel that, while I understood the doctrine of Jesus Christ, I lacked the deeper witness of the Spirit regarding the mission and reality of Jesus Christ.  I had learned in my mind, but had not yet been convinced in my heart.  So, I began to pray more earnestly.  I looked for understanding of the Savior as I read the scriptures and attended the temple.  An amazing thing happened that parallels the pattern of increasing light I have described in the hike we just took together.

As I prayed, attended the temple, and pondered, I did not hear a loud voice from heaven, have a vision, or receive a visit from an angel.  I did not have any single experience that was dramatic and life altering.  Yet, I have come to feel, through the power of the Holy Ghost, a deep appreciation for the love of the Savior that is manifest in His atoning sacrifice.[1]

I have always found hope in the testimony of prophets and apostles.  For example, in his final conference address, Elder Bruce R. McConkie taught us of the atonement.  He said:[2]
Now, the atonement of Christ is the most basic and fundamental doctrine of the gospel, and it is the least understood of all our revealed truths. … We do not know, we cannot tell, no mortal mind can conceive the full import of what Christ did in Gethsemane.  We know he sweat great gouts of blood from every pore as he drained the dregs of that bitter cup his Father had given him.  We know he suffered, both body and spirit, more than it is possible for man to suffer, except it be unto death.  We know that in some way, incomprehensible to us, his suffering satisfied the demands of justice, ransomed penitent souls from the pains and penalties of sin, and made mercy available to those who believe in his holy name.
This is beautiful doctrine.  I feel that I have been able to read the words and understand the concept that Jesus Christ atoned for my sins and made it possible for me to return to my Father in Heaven.  Yet, as Elder McConkie states, the mechanism is incomprehensible to me.  I have wondered how it is that we can come to love the Savior who suffered for us in a distant time and place.  How can I come to know Him?

Jesus taught us the way.  He invited us to know Him by living His teachings.  He taught us that:[3]
If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.
Because,
He that keepeth his commandments receiveth truth and light, until he is glorified in truth and knoweth all things.
I truly feel my knowledge of Jesus Christ growing.  I feel that I am coming to know Him.  I firmly believe that this is the key to our coming unto Christ.  It is how we can know him and experience His love.


[1] 1 Kings 19: 11-12.
[2] Bruce R. McConkie, “The Purifying Power of Gethsemane,” Ensign, May 1985, 9.
[3] See John 7: 17 and D&C 93: 28.

No comments:

Post a Comment